There are seven alumina refineries operating in Australia producing mostly smelter grade alumina for both the domestic and export markets. Australia is the world’s second largest producer and exporter of alumina, with 22 per cent of global production. In 2011 Australia produced 19.1 million tonnes of metallurgical (smelter grade) alumina and around 0.5Mt of chemical grade alumina.
The six Australian alumina refineries are:
- Yarwun (Queensland) – Rio Tinto Alcan
- Kwinana (Western Australia) – Alcoa of Australia
- Pinjarra (Western Australia) – Alcoa of Australia
- Queensland Alumina Ltd (QAL) (Queensland) – Rio Tinto Alcan, Rusal
- Wagerup (Western Australia) – Alcoa of Australia
- Worsley (Western Australia) – South32 – Worsley Alumina
- Gove (Northern Territory) – Pacific Aluminium – Gove refinery suspended operations in 2014.