The Rio Tinto Gove Operation is located on the Gove Peninsula in North East Arnhem land in the Northern Territory.
Arnhem land was visited by Portuguese explorers in the early 1600s and Dutch explorers sailing through Torres Strait in 1623. Evidence of Macassan frequenting our shores and trading trepang with local Indigenous people, the Yolngu, is evident and dates back to the 1700s. Matthew Flinders also made contact with local Indigenous people during his circumnavigation of Australia in 1803. In 1934 a Methodist Mission was established providing medical services to local Indigenous people. During 1943 as a product of World War II a Catalina base and an airport were established on the Gove Peninsula.
Bauxite exploration commenced in 1952 and substantial bauxite reserves identified in 1955. In 1969 the Commonwealth Government granted special mining leases and special purpose leases to the Gove Joint Venture Participants, known as the Gove Agreement.
The township of Nhulunbuy and associated infrastructure was established in 1972 to house mining employees.
Visit the Rio Tinto Gove Operation page for more information.