There are six alumina refineries operating in Australia producing mostly smelter grade alumina for both the domestic and export markets. Australia alumina production in 2019 was 20.5 million tonnes. Australia maintained its position as the second largest producer of alumina and the world’s largest exporter, with 17 Mt exported in 2019.
The six Australian alumina refineries are:
- Kwinana (Western Australia) – Alcoa
- Pinjarra (Western Australia) – Alcoa
- Queensland Alumina Ltd (QAL) (Queensland) – Rio Tinto, Rusal
- Wagerup (Western Australia) – Alcoa
- Worsley (Western Australia) – South32
- Yarwun (Queensland) – Rio Tinto
To learn more about the alumina refining process go to our Alumina Refining Chart.
Click for the latest publications from the International Aluminium Institute on best practice in the management of bauxite residue and reuse options.